2017 Stir the Pot RulesWe appreciate your interest in registering a cooking team for the Annual Stir The Pot: Louisiana Seafood Cook-off & Festival. To coincide with the nature aspect of the festival, we also have a wild game category . Teams may enter one category for $100 or both for $150 per team. Below are some things you need to know if you are interested in registering a cooking team.
- The cook-off will take place in the parking lot of the Splash Park.
- Booth assignment will be in the order of registrations received. Cooking spots will be marked off and numbered. Upon arrival, please check in with a Stir the Pot Committee member to find your designated spot before you begin to set-up. All tents/canopies must be secured to the barricades to prevent them from flying away.
- Teams may set up their tables and tents on the day before the cook-off from 3-6 p.m. On the day of the cook-off, teams can begin setting up at 7 am, no earlier. Judging will begin at 12:00 pm.
- All vehicles need to be out of the festival area by 10:30 am on the morning of the cook-off. No vehicles will be allowed to remain in or back into the festival area until all pedestrian traffic is out of the festival area. NO EXCEPTIONS! Team Parking will be right outside the festival area on the canoe launch road.
- There are a couple of electrical outlets for those teams needing electricity. If your team needs electricity, please bring extension cords.
- A cooking team consists of one (1) chief cook and three (3) assistants. You may have more than three (3) assistants on the team, but each person above the allotted amount will have to pay the gate fee of $5 per person.
- For the Seafood Category, each team is required to prepare a dish with Louisiana seafood as the main ingredient
- For the Wild Game Category, each team is required to prepare a dish with wild game as the main ingredient
- All dishes must be cooked on site, without pre-cooking. Each team will be allowed to bring in peeled/shelled shrimp, crab and crawfish. If needed, teams may also bring in roux, pre-chopped vegetables, cooked rice or pasta, however it can not be added to the dish until on-site.
- Each team will receive small Styrofoam bowls or Styrofoam cake plates to prepare their dish for judging. There will be 3-5 judges.
- Judging order will coincide with booth order and dishes will be picked up 3 booths at a time for judging. The Seafood Category will be judged first, with Wild Game to follow.
- Dishes will be judged on originality of dish and overall taste. Judging will be on the blind system.
- Festival goers will be allowed to purchase $5 Tasting Bracelets. After the judging has begun at 12:00 pm, attendees who have purchased the bracelets may pick up small samples of your dish. 4 oz. containers (1/2 cup), forks or spoons and napkins will be provided to each team. There will be no food tickets collected or selling food in the cook-off area. All proceeds from the tasting bracelets will go to the Friends of Palmetto Island State Park Fund and will not be split between the teams. We are expecting 1,200 people in attendance. The Friends of Palmetto Island State Park will be selling hamburgers and other items for people who do not eat seafood.
- No outside beverages are to be brought in. Teams may bring in an ice chest to contain food for preparation in the cook-off. Each team will receive a designated amount of tickets to purchase soft drinks, water or beer.
- Teams not adhering to the rules or behaving in a disruptive manner will be disqualified.
To register your cook-off team, download the entry form: 2017 Stir the Pot Entry Form
For a complete set of rules, download the 2017 Stir the Pot Rules